Mentor Church History
The Mentor Methodist Church was first organized in 1866, making it the second oldest Methodist church in the Salina area. Services were first held under a cottonwood tree on the Maltby place, about a mile east and a quarter south of Mentor. Services were next held in the Maltby schoolhouse near Mentor until he first church building was completed in May, 1875.
The core of the present church building was built in 1917 at cost of $6,500. replacing a small white frame building. The parsonage, which was added in 1919, was valued at $5,000. The educational wing was built in 1967 at a cost of $21,000. The fellowship hall, handicap-accessible lift, and kitchen were added in 2002 at a cost of $198,000. A celebration was held in March of 20-07 to commemorate the paying off of the mortgage for the new construction.
Many changes have taken place through the years. The name has been changed to Mentor United Methodist Church. An annual community pig roast has become a tradition, along with a monthly pancake breakfast and bake sale. Quilters meet weekly in fellowship hall. Our church newsletter, The Informer, was started in 1949. Trick or Treat for UNICEF has been carried on for generations. A relatively new activity is our Thespian Troupe, who produce a Dinner Theater annually and deliver the entertainment as well as the food.
We continue to build on the successes of the past and eagerly look forward to the future.